Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West


Review: Pivot Point by Kasie West
Goodreads 
Release date: February 12th, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: #1 in the Pivot Point series
Source: Purchased
Rating: I was so surprised at how much I loved this book! Unique, powerful, and full of shocking twists. A must-read!

 Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)

 Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.



The cover: I like! It makes the book look a bit darker than it is, but the girl looks a lot like the Addie in my head, and it's got that whole duality feel down.

The story: I don't know why I sat on this review for so long. This book was a quick and engaging read, and most of all, it was fun. It's not intense or dark, though it has it's moments--mostly, this book is cute and funny and totally ordinal. West's take on supernatural beings is so much more fun than the average broody, angry creature. Rather, she's created a whole world full of people with cool enhanced abilities, such as persuasion, memory modification, telekinesis, and lie detecting.

Addie lives in an enclosed compound just for Paranormals. Addie's is the ability to envision projected futures. So when her parents split up, and her dad decides to go live in the Norm world, Addie envisions the two possible outcomes of the choice of which parent to live with. Both possible futures hold mystery and romance, and yes, that means there's a love triangle... OF SORTS. Because this is the most original interpretation of dual love interests I've ever seen, because of course they don't exist in the same reality.

In reality 1, Addie stays with her mom, her best friend, Layla (whose power is memory modification), and Duke, the hot, popular football player who's suddenly paying close attention to her. In reality 2, she relocates to Dallas with her dad and has to adjust to a brand new high school in a totally different universe from hers. She's surrounded by people who have no idea that people with supernatural abilities even exist. When Addie envisions her two possible paths, she actually lives them. Even the road not taken is etched in her mind as a solid memory. So we go along the two paths with her, alternating by chapter, never sure until the end which road is the actual story.

What really got me hooked on this book were the characters, particularly Addie. She's a bookworm who detests football, and she's hilarious. And Trevor, her love interest, is SWOONY TO THE MAX. He's just a legitimately great guy, and one of the sweetest book boys I've come across in a long time. All the awards to Trevor. Seriously. Laila is an awesome and colorful best friend who's relationship with Addie is strong and interesting. And Duke is charming and really, really attractive. But I found myself more interested in the "Normal" chapters set in Dallas than in the Paranormal chapters. Not to say the other storyline was bad--it most certainly wasn't. There was so much going on over there, and watching the two stories somewhat overlap--picking up clues from both worlds to solve the one overarching mystery--was totally cool. But the story of Addie the new girl becoming best friends with Trevor the cute boy... that was my favorite aspect of the book.

Honestly, I still have world-building questions about the paranormal city and stuff like that, but I was willing to let it slide in book one. Mostly because Trevor was there being all adorable, and Addie was being snarky, and there were mysteries to solve and stuff. The book got serious at the end, with all kinds of betrayal and heartbreak (my heart, specifically, though I suppose Addie was pretty sad too). 

I one hundred percent recommend this book and West's sophomore novel, The Distance Between Us. Both have a lot of humor and heart and will entertain you no question.

8 comments:

  1. I totally concur with you on all of your thoughts.

    Pick your jaw up off the floor, it isn't attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this one! I'm reading it this weekend for a read along. Sounds totally intriguing. Did you ever read those choose your own adventure books from back in the day? Thought of those in reading the synopsis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought this for my Kindle because it was on sale. I'd originally not been interested in it, but SO MANY people have been recommending it, I had to buy it. I'm glad you liked it too! Thus far, I'm sensing that you and I agree on book boys a lot, so I look forward to a swoony boy in this one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this one as soon as I can get my hands on it! Your review makes me wanna read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! Can't wait to read Split Second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got this one on my Kindle, since there was a really cheap deal for it! I'll definitely have to read it soon, since just about everyone thinks that the two different perspectives/roads/choices Addie has are handled really well. I'm curious to see if I end up loving it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, Gillian, I read this as an ARC and I am STILL not over that frakkin' ending. It BROKE MY HEART. I mean, there's some hope for Split Second but GOODNESS. I read the last third totally tense - physically, literally tensed up - because I was falling SO hard for Trevor/Addie, and really just living for his chapters. I wanted to throttle Duke by about 1/4 into the book. Ugh, I just can't stand him, even now.

    I am so happy you liked this one, girl. SO HAPPY. Seriously, if one of my blogger friends ever dislikes it, I will cry. It's just, it's amazing, and like you, I thought even with the tense moments it was so fun!

    Molli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, the girl on the cover really looked like what I imagined Addie would look like--sort of like Taylor Swift. And yes, I do enjoy the Norm chapters more than the Para--but maybe it's because of Trevor haha. I do wish it features more of the world-building--I think it will make the story more interesting.

    x Tiara - http://awaveofvellichor.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)